McKenna Ryan Group Quilt-a-Long
A place to share our journey to completing a McKenna Ryan project
- one block, many blocks or a quilt.

Friday 17 January 2014

I have a question...

I am trying to quilt my goat and have found out two things...
1.  I don't own enough different coloured threads...
2.  I totally suck at raw edge applique...
I have tried using my pogo stitch and that was a disaster and now I am trying my open toed foot which I have a lot more control (which I like) but I am not sure if this is the norm..
What do you use to quilt your blocks?
Does anyone have any tips besides plying oneself with alcohol so one does not care anymore...
thanks
Sandi

3 comments:

Susan said...

Sandi

1. great progress and I thought I might have to crack the whip over you!
2. I - probably could help with threads...if you lived nearby
3. which foot? i have a janome 6600 and used to use a pogo foot - didn't like it much and was very hard to control the movement of the fabric.....there is a fairly new Free motion quilting foot that glides over the fabric...much easier, though you still need to practice.

Overall, its practice and remembering that this is the first bit you have done. The closer the threads in colour the less obvious it will be, and remember that you see it at a distance not up close like when you are sewing it.
Susan

Maureen Clare said...

Hi Sandi,I have a Janome 6600 and use a pogo stick but it is just a matter of getting used to doing it. Very frustrating at first but please keep trying. What I did when I first started free motion quilting was, I made up a large practice piece out of just plain coloured fabric (calico works) and had the practice fabric, thin wadding and backing. And away I went doodling this way and that and then practicing drawing around a particular shape. It does get easier, honestly. My McKenna Sea creature blocks have the main piece,then thin pellon or could use parlan or wadding and then plain fabric. The plain fabric on the back helped it slide more easily over the bed of the machine and gave body. Just a few hints, so to be so long winded but keep calling out for encouragement or ideas. That's the idea of supporting each other. Cheers and a quilty hug

Béa said...

I don't know what is a pogo foot...but I will use the open (C shape) FMQ foot.